Applying to a CPS High School for 2020-2021
Chicago Public Schools is home to more than 160 high schools that offer a wide variety of program options to meet the academic interests of students. We want all of our families to attend the school that is the best fit for their needs, so students can either attend the general education program of the neighborhood school in the attendance boundary of their primary home address, or apply to attend any high school in the city that they are eligible for and that has available seats.
THE HIGH SCHOOL APPLICATION PROCESS IS DIVIDED INTO FIVE PHASES:
MAY - OCT 2019
- Subscribe to GoCPS mailing list.
- Get detailed information and explanations about all CPS application processes.
- Track important dates and events related to applications, testing, and enrollment.
- Access informative videos, brochures, news, and community engagement material.
- Answer important questions using Frequently Asked Questions.
- Contact support from the Office of Access and Enrollment.
AUG - OCT 2019
- Create an account and a family profile.
- Review a list of schools and programs to which the student is eligible to apply.
- Learn about which schools are the best fit for your student.
- Access statistics and success data about CPS as a district.
- Read detailed descriptions and information about school and program types.
SEP – DEC 2019: (R1) / APR – JUNE 2020: (R2)
- Attend open house events.
- Select and rank the schools and programs to which you'll apply.
- Submit application.
- Schedule admissions screenings, if required
JUNE - OCT 2019
- Find CPS schools and programs using multiple search and display options.
- Find your neighborhood school using your computer or mobile phone’s geo-location.
- View school profiles with detailed background, contact, performance, program, and admissions data.
- Select and compare a side-by-side list of up to four different schools.
- View map overlays of attendance, geographic, and political boundaries.
MAR - JUNE 2020
- Receive Round 1 offers, if applicable, and accept or decline them.
- Receive Round 1 waitlist offers, if applicable, and accept or decline them.
- Participate in Round 2 or other subsequent application period, if applicable.
- Receive Round 2 offers, if applicable, and accept or decline them.
- Receive Round 2 waitlist offers, if applicable, and accept or decline them.